Friday, March 12, 2010

Week 9: DLA summaries

My first directed learning activity was a diagnostic test about women in combat situations. My objective was to develop a focused body paragraph proving that women can mange stressful combat situations. In the workforce, women are occupying important and stressful jobs. They are taking the roles of doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, and firefighters. Women are faced with stressful situations everyday and most are caused by men. Women are constantly preyed upon by men and their pursuit for sexual relations. Even the workforce within the Fontana Success Center provides evidence for women’s workmanship. Ninety-nine percent of the workers in that facility are occupied by women. Society should not overlook the credibility of women serving in the Armed Forces. My second directed learning activity was about argumentation, opposing view point of the Salem witch trials. This activity was designed to help me to analyze rhetorical techniques used by parties on more than one side of a debate. In one of the activity, I had to argue for a person in their defense. The second part to that activity, I had to argue against the person. This activity helped me to understand the importance to be able to understand the two positions so I may have a defense to the opposing view. My third directed learning activity was about plagiarism. After writing the concept essay, I felt that I need to brush up on the rules about plagiarism. It is hard to come up with your own idea about the materials you may read. It is hard for me to describe a specific term or topic without using some of the words of the writer. But I was suggested that I summarize the materials into my own thoughts and create my own understanding of it and perhaps make a connection between the two. Anything outside of your work would be considered plagiarism and anything that you create, in example, your life’s experience would be considered an original material. Some safe practice that I already use is summaries based on memory and make notations whenever I decided to quote the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment